Thursday, March 14, 2013

Chicken and Dumplings


Chicken and Dumplings - Better Homes and Gardens Recipes




Prep: 30 minutes      Bake: 45 minutes

2 to 2 1/2 lbs meaty chicken pieces
3 cups water
1 medium onion, cut into wedges
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp salt
 1/4 tsp dried marjoram
1 bay leaf
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup thinly sliced carrots(2)
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp snipped fresh parsley
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup milk
2 Tbsp cooking oil
1/2 cup cold water
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

  1. Skin and rinse chicken. In large pot combine chicken, 3 c. water, onion, basil, 1/2 tsp salt, marjoram, pepper, bay leaf. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover simmer 25 minutes. Add celery, carrots and mushrooms. Return to boil, reduce heat, cover simmer 10 minutes or till chicken and veggies are tender. Remove bay leaf.
  2. For dumplings, in mixing bowl combine 1 c. flour, parsley, baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt, and oregano. In another bowl combine egg, milk, oil; add to flour mixture. Stir with fork just till moistened. Drop batter onto hot chicken, making 6 dumplings. Do ot drop into liquid. Return to boiling, reduce heat, cover, simmer for 10-12 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean from the dumplings. Do not lift cover while simmering. Transfer chicken, dumplings, and veggies to serving platter.
  3. For gravy, pour broth into large measuring cup. Skim fat from broth and discard fat. Measure 2 c. of broth, return to pot. Combine the 1/2 c cold water and 1/4 c. flour; stir into broth. Cook and stir till mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 more minute. Serve gravy over chicken veggies and dumplings. Yield six servings.

*I did a couple things differently: 1) I did not put mushrooms because I didn't have any and I hate them anyways 2) I added some chicken bullion to the broth because I felt it needed a little more flavor 3) Instead of removing chicken, dumplings and veggies to make the gravy, I added the water flour mixture to thicken broth before I dropped and steamed the dumplings.

Source: Better Homes and Gardens


The  first Better Homes and Gardens cookbook was introduced in 1930 and has been found in America's kitchens ever since. It was in my kitchen growing up and is still the place I go to look for classic recipes as well as new ideas on those days where I just don't know what to make. I thought it would be fun to share my favorite recipes that I cook for my family and maybe try some new ones. Some of the recipes I follow may be different that those you find on the BHG website just because the BHG test kitchens are always updating their recipes to reflect changes in America's tastes, techniques, and lifestyles. Any recipes I make will be coming from Better Homes and Gardens, New Cook Book(11th and 14th Edition) and Better Homes and Gardens, Our Best Recipes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...